Monday, September 29, 2008

The Making of a Home Part 1

I can't believe it's been 19 days since my last post. Crazy! Feels like it's been only a few days but so much has happened it also feels like 3 months. 

We closed on the house!!! So, I thought I'd take the opportunity to take note of some observations on the house, the process, etc.

This will be Matt's and my sixth move in our six years of marriage. For us, moving is just a normal part of life. Decorations come down, boxes come out, things get driven back and forth, taken apart, set back up, repositioned. There are people to call, appointments to set up, addresses to change, deliveries to schedule, etc. We pretty much just go into auto-moving mode.

This will be the first move we've made with the intention (and the means) of staying put for a while. How does that change things?

First, when we were looking for a house, we kept in mind the livability of the house just as much, if not more so, than the resale value. Normally we see homes as straight-up investments. This time we looked for something we could live in.

We feel like this house is totally from the Lord. Lots of little things that I've thought about wanting in a house just happen to be in this house. I'll number some of them.

1. When we were first moving to Abilene, we thought we might buy a house right away and one of our criteria was to try and find a house that had been totally remodeled but never lived in. The longer we looked, the more we realized that might be a tall order, so we relaxed that criteria. However, this house has been completely remodeled and never lived in! All the details are quality, even down to the finish garage!!!

2. No carpet or replace the carpet. We also didn't want linoleum. This house has only hardwoods and tile.

3. Original hardwood floors. This house has them.

4. A place for cookie sheets and cutting boards because the last two apartments have been a PAIN to fit them in the cabinets. This house has designated areas for cookie sheets and cutting boards.

5. WINDOWS. Natural light is huge for me and this house has beautiful windows that are brand-spanking new.

6. TREES. One of the perks of an older home is that you get large trees. We have four gorgeous, sappy pecan trees that provide shade and birds and color.

7. NO POPCORN CEILINGS. This house has impeccable ceilings. And we didn't have to do it.

8. A place for our dining room furniture. This house has a place for our table and chairs that isn't going to be in the way.

9. Closets and cabinets. This place has a billion. Maybe not that many, but enough that it took me over 2 hours to clean them all.

10. Stainless steel appliances. Gorgeous. And a flat-top range. No more burners to clean for me!

11. A large yard. Gardening to my heart's content baby!!!!

12. The carport. Not something I would've ever thought I wanted. BUT, I am so stinkin excited to have a place to wash and wax the car I can't even tell you. I've missed this for the last few years.

13. One owner. I wanted to have a home with as few owners as possible and we found out this one has been owned by the same people for at least 40 years.

14. A place for the Christmas tree. I always wanted to have windows where I could put a Christmas tree and it could be seen from the street like in The Christmas Story movie. I can do that in this house.

15. A mailbox on the house. I always wanted one of those too and we got one!

I could probably go on, but suffice it to say, the Lord rocked our socks off with this house!!! We are so thankful and we praise Him for it!!!







No comments: