Sunday, May 15, 2011

Naptime From a Non-Napper's Perspective

It's Sunday afternoon.

Nap time.

Could anything be more boring?

While others sleep, I amuse myself until they wake up.

It's like daytime insomnia.

I have to be quiet and there's nothing good on TV.

Wait.

I take that back.

I just checked and there's a movie on.

I may cut this post short.

I've never liked napping.

As far back as I can remember, I hated napping.

I used to be good at waiting until my caregivers fell asleep, getting up, amusing myself and laying back down before they woke up.

Devious, I know.

But can you really blame me?

I don't really even understand the concept.

Why don't we all just sleep in later if we're so tired?

When the alarm goes off in the morning, why don't we just set it for a couple hours later and say we're napping?

Wouldn't it be the same thing?

You might say, "Don't be a nap hater. You just need to try napping."

I have.

I end up being more tired than when I fell asleep. Then I get to lay awake at night trying to fall asleep and as an added bonus, am exhausted the next day.

Thanks for nothing, naps.

Despite my general nap hatred, there are some exceptions.

One is when I'm sick.

I tend to nap when I'm sick.

You'd think that'd be a positive in the nap column.

But I have associated naps with being sick.

And no one likes being sick.

Naps = sick = no likey.

Another exception is when small children are involved.

When one is caring for small children, it's nice to have a time where things can get done or peace and quiet can rule for just a little while.

Naps, add one to your positive column. That's right. You get 1.

Don't get used to it.

A third exception is for cranky adults. When adults are cranky and no fun to be around, it's nice to have naps as an option.

Although for exception #3, I would suggest a more permanent solution for the crankiness.

Like getting more sleep.

Like at night.

When I sleep.

When we're supposed to sleep.

When I don't have to find something to do in the middle of the day to occupy myself.

There is a solution to this problem people.

We just have to work together.

Nappers and non-nappers unite.

Sleep more.

Nap less.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we just listened to the piano record sunday and it didn't work for us, either.