It was in the 70s this weekend for the first time in a while. Warmth. Can I hear a collective sigh of relief?
Matt and I went outdoor shopping this weekend. For what? I'm so glad you asked.
First, our fence needs help. Some of it is new, but most of the posts are rotting and the boards are falling apart. Abi's presence caused this to come to our attention as a few boards have been lovingly "nudged" off the fence. The other day we drove home to see a little lab face poking through the bottom of one such broken-off board. So, we were pricing posts and pickets and such. Not the most fun project but probably the most necessary. Although maybe when we redo the fence, we can put the boards closer together so when people drive down the side street by our house, they can't see straight through to the yard.
Secondly, and probably one of the more exciting projects is the vegetable garden we want to make. Not only that, but we saw some other plants (like grape bushes and orange trees) that would be amazing to plant. I'm totally excited about having a virtual produce department growing in our backyard!!! Planning is heavily underway for our garden.
On that note (stay with me now), a new library branch opened up last month and Matt and I are all about checking out brand new material for free so we were there opening day and stocked up on all the gardening books (and other topics of interest) we could carry. (And then we made a couple more trips to the car.)
As another sidetrack, I had so many books stacked on a shelf that they spontaneously fell off the shelf and onto the floor with a large crash. It sent 3 library workers over to see if everything was ok and then Matt came. He said he heard the noise from across the library and just knew I was somehow involved. But no, I'm not notoriously clumsy or anything.
We also rented some movies and the Family Ties series on DVD. Hours of free entertainment there, let me tell you.
Ok. All that to say I have to get serious about my 3-foot stack of gardening books this week and get some actual plans in place.
The other outdoor project we want to tackle at some point is creating a patio and an outdoor grilling/eating area. We want it to have atmosphere so we're working on ideas and plans for how to make that happen.
Sure there will probably be a few more spells of cold, nasty weather. But we're getting close. Really close. I can feel it!
Monday, February 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Oops, posted a comment for this update on the Random Thoughts story. I'll get the hang of it soon!
i would like to sit on your future porch and have you grill me something : )
well, if you guys need help with a fence, let daniel and i know! the fence we have now daniel and i did ourselves! its not too bad to do it yourself, and its much cheaper. :)
Post a Comment