Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Way the World Works

So I needed to print a Word document from the internet. I downloaded the file and I went to print it and I got this message:

"Printing is not available in Microsoft Office 2004 Test Drive, but printing is available in the purchased version of Office 2004. To order your copy of Office 2004, click Buy Now."

You're telling me that I can't print anything until I pay $150-$400 to buy Office? Well I'm glad you mentioned that before I created or downloaded a document so I'd know I can't print. I'm just thankful I didn't, say, write a 30-page paper of some kind that I poured my life into and just finished and needed to get somewhere by some deadline, and then I realize I can't get it off my computer. That has to be the best marketing idea ever. "Hey. Let's make them really mad when they go to print a document from the trial version and they realize they can't. That'll create a warm, fuzzy feeling and they're sure to want to buy our product." I guess they're banking on the fact that I'd be so desperate, I'd be forced to purchase. And the kicker is that we did buy their product. We ordered the new version of Office last month and it'll ship later this month. But I guess that doesn't matter. And that's my rant for today.

On another note, I'm ironing today. I kept going over and trying to iron a pair of pants and realizing it's not doing anything because the iron is cold. I did that about 3 times, going away in between each time to give the iron time to warm up. I was thinkin to myself "Man. It sure is taking a long time to warm up today. What is the deal?" And then I realize it would help if I turned the iron on.

No comments: