I used to answer this question by saying I would rather be cold. After all, you can always put more clothes on if you're cold, but you can only take so many off if you're hot. Since living in Colorado, however, my answer has changed. I HATE being cold. Here are the things I hate the most.
1. I hate wearing a big bulky jacket everywhere I go. It's hard to move and I knock things over.
2. I hate wearing socks. Socks get all twisted around on your feet and they just feel yucky when they're all bunched up or not fitting the right way. Plus, my toes are always cold, so I don't really see how they help much.
3. I hate getting in the shower when my cold feet burn when the hot water hits them. So then I turn the hot water down so my feet feel better and then the rest of me is cold until my feet stop burning. Then, when I try to turn the water warmer, the warm water is gone. (And as a side note, thinking in the shower is only good if the water stays warm. Once it gets cold, I just concentrate on getting out!)
4. I hate getting into a cold car. We actually know at what point on the road the car will start to produce heat.
5. I hate when I'm all warm in bed and I move my legs and the sheets are so cold in my new position. And I hate getting out of bed when it's freezing!
6. I hate that my hands and feet are always cold.
So that's pretty much it. But since I basically just did nothing but complain about the cold, I'll add some things I enjoy about the cooler months to balance things out.
1. I love how our apartment heats up to 80 degrees every day that the sun is out.
2. I love how I actually enjoy ironing clothes in the winter because working with the steam iron always warms me up.
3. I love hot chocolate and warm tea and baking and the hearty foods and soups that I actually want to eat and drink because they taste sooo good and they keep me warm.
4. I love that now that I don't work at Focus, I can wear pants every single day which makes winter much more bearable!
5. I love how once the car warms up, I can sit with the heat on full-blast until I thaw out.
6. I love how the colder it is, the more I look forward to summer and the more I appreciate and enjoy the warmer months.
All this talk about hot and cold brings to mind Revelation 3:15-17:
15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot.
16 So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth.
17 Because you say, "I am rich, and have become wealthy, and have need of nothing," and you do not know that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked.
These verses make me realize that the most important thing I love about being cold is that I see how weak and desperate I am for a couple things:
1. I'm desperate for the Lord's physical provision in my life. Everything that brings me comfort like shelter, heat, warm blankets, a car that works and produces heat, a hot water heater and indoor plumbing (so I don't have to go outside in the middle of the night or in the snow!) comes straight from the Lord.
2. I also realize how much I need to feel an intense passion for the Lord, the Gospel and His will for my life. I don't want to feel cold (or especially lukewarm) toward that which brings me life.
So as much as I hate the cold, it does bring about some important thoughts about the Lord and life, so I guess it's not all bad.
No comments:
Post a Comment